Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

bridging gap between greenboard and durock?

Old 10-08-05, 12:54 PM
lkloc
Visiting Guest

I'm sure this must have been asked, but I can't find it.

Anyway, I'm getting ready to tape and mud my bathroom for the first time. I have 2 different wallboard materials--greenboard and durock around the shower/tub alcove.

There is a space in the alcove above the durock to the ceiling of about 8 inches where the greenboard was placed where there will be no tile.

How do I tape/mud this area? I will paint the area above the tile. So I need a smooth surface. I'm using thinset/fiberglass tape for the durock and joint compound/smooth tape for the wallboard. Which should I use where the two surfaces meet?

Hope I was clear. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-05, 05:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If I understand your post correctly, the tile will cover the gap. I would fill the gap with thinset and finish the drywall above with joint compound.

Old 10-10-05, 09:54 AM
This looks more like a tiling question to me. I would post it there. I read it as the joint will be visible after the tile is up. You should have cut the durock and put the fiberglass tape embeddend in thinset under the top tile and just painted with no joint at all. Now I woould probably use some quick setting joint compound with the fiberglass tape,but i would ask in the tiling forum first.