Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1948 spongywoodlike wallboard

Visiting Guest

10-12-05, 02:32 PM   #1  
palko
1948 spongywoodlike wallboard

I'm new at any home repairs, since my arthritis is limiting.I had an insulation contractor come in to tell me if cellulose could be blown into my 1st floor walls.This house is a 1.5 story brick(built in 1948) with interior walls made of a spongy woodlike wallboard(no insulation in walls).The contractor could not blow insulation due to the fact that this wall material would blow apart or crack. I then started to gut the walls and put in R-13 and then decided to panel (1/8" thick) in place of the spongy wallbaord. the problem now is there is a gap between the paneling and spongy wall board ceiling (about1/2"). how can i fill in this ceiling gap and with what material? I know i didn't plan well so i can use any kind of help.......thanks ......palko

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

10-12-05, 05:31 PM   #2  
Welcome to the forums

Wish there was a solution for your arthiritis, but if there was you would have to get in line behind me

The simplest solution to your wall problem would be to install crown moulding or some other type of wood trim where the wall meets the ceiling.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

CAL

10-13-05, 04:39 AM   #3  
Two things
Can you simply raise the paneling to meet the ceiling? On second read I think I understand better
I think you should have some drywall behind the paneling. It is more fire resistive. Also that half inch would fill the gap.

Search this Thread