Smoothing out joints in drywall

Old 10-22-05, 11:50 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Smoothing out joints in drywall

How in the world do you get a smooth joint between drywall sheets.

I work with a small company that does disaster restoration work. Often, after a small flood, we have to remove 6" to 2' of drywall because it has been damaged by water. We always use a chaulk line to make sure we cut the drywall as straight as possible. We've found that the drwyall in houses can vary in thickness because of previous repairs or high humidity conditions in the house. The last job we did, the drywall was really hard to cut. We found out that there had been a flood in this house before and the contractor that did the previous work had used Durabond 90 to fill in the joints rather than "mud". This made for a smooth finish, but a really hard finish.

Well, we replaced all of the drywall and used fiber tape to fill in the gaps. Two of the fellows we work with are the "supposed" experts on crackfilling. However, when we went in today to paint the walls, we found that there were lots of grooves and high spots in the joints. We filled in the grooves with more mud and sponged off the excess with a damp sponge. These were OK once the paint dried, but the "humps" in the wall were obvious to the trained eye. The customer was pleased with the paint job, but we weren't pleased with the final product.

We, as painters, intend to train ourselves in the art of crackfilling. We understand that the first "scratch" coat goes on rather thickly to ensure the gaps are filled. Subsequent coats are much thinner and wider than the first coat to ensure complete coverage and a surface that is flat. However, we've seen too many jobs where the repair is higher than the surrounding wall.

How can we go about getting the patch to blend in with the rest of the wall.

Thanks

Ted

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-05, 05:26 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 200 Votes on 177 Posts
Only way I know is to float out the repaired joint as far as possible. Also the first application of mud doesn't need to be any thicker than necessary to fill the gaps and glue the tape. I think paper tape is usually better but I understand the ease of using the fiber sticky tape.

Old 10-24-05, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You can help yourself out a lot in the hanging portion of your patchwork. Make sure the rock is as flush as possible prior to taping. Shim the bottom if need be.