Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Unmentioned drywall patching problem - Need Help

Old 11-06-05, 05:26 AM
JWMTX
Visiting Guest

I couldn't find an entry regarding this situation in past posts here. I have removed wall paper from a room in my house and during the removal, in some areas the top layer of paper has come off of the drywall, exposing the gray cardboard layer that is over the gypsum. In the larger areas where this has ocurred, I have placed spackle over the area, but am getting ripples where the cardboard has aborbed moisture from the spackle. Do I contuinue using this method and just sand and re-apply spackle until all is well, or am I fighting a losing situation? Thanks, in advance, for you help.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-05, 09:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums

The grey cardboard you are reffering to IS the gypsum. Whenever gypsum is exposed it should be primed with an oil base or shellac based primer so it can not absorb any moisture from the mud or latex paint. I would recomend sanding the area smooth and priming with a solvent based primer.

Old 11-06-05, 11:48 AM
Group Moderator
Seal it, spackle it, seal it, paint it. Had to do this myself in a shower and it worked out great.