Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Covering textured ceiling with venetial plaster or joint compound

Visiting Guest

11-08-05, 05:30 PM   #1  
mulcataigh
Covering textured ceiling with venetial plaster or joint compound

I have textured ceilings in my fixer-up which have been applied directly to the original concrete slab. The texture is not popcorn or orange peel, but more of a heavy, wet, roller look.

It is crumbling and flaking in large pieces in places and has also been improperly patched over the years with plaster and dry wall tape. Looks awful!!

I like the idea of venetian plaster, or even a joint compound substitute. But, I am worried that the current texture is too deep for a cover over of this sort. And I am concerned about working on the ceiling rather than walls, which most people seem to do decorative finishes on.

Does any one have experience/advice on how to do a new finish over the ceiling - one that is inexpensive, and looks updated to bring the ceilings of my craftman cottage back to some new glory?

Sponsored Links

11-09-05, 09:25 AM   #2  
Venetian plaster may be too difficult to do on a celing. It is a lot of coats to trowel on. Drywall compound may also not work in your situation. If the old texture was "directly to the original concrete slab" I don't know that you will not have whatever you apply next simply falling off too (especially dry wall compound which takes a long time to cure and is wet). Most finishes must be applied to, at the very least, a secure substrate.

I would recommend aquastone or aquatex for this application, as they are easier to work with than drywall paste and more durable. There are multiple ways to achieve a textured look/plaster look with both applications. You may want to take a look at Gary Lord's books on faux finishing which detail several applications of the above materials.

Visiting Guest

12-14-05, 03:21 PM   #3  
azneire
Textured ceiling VP treatment

The problem here is the amount of coverage either for compound or Venetian Plaster. What you will have to do here is scrape as much of the stipple off as you can to binng down the depth of it to a minimum. Then use a good acrylic primer followed by two or three coats of compound followed by primer and Venetian Plaster or paint finish. That's the best way to go about this. Noel

KS

12-15-05, 06:18 AM   #4  
How do you know it is directly over concrete? If this is true I would strip it all off and either have cool concrete ceilings or start from scratch.

Search this Thread