Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

American Clay Plaster

12-12-05, 09:40 PM   #1  
American Clay Plaster

I was wondering if anybody that has actually used American Clay Plaster has any has any feedback on how this product performs.

Sponsored Links

MO

12-13-05, 11:54 AM   #2  
sorry - never heard of it. is it like Venetian plaster?

12-13-05, 02:13 PM   #3  
American Clay markets their product as an “environmentally friendly alternative to cement, gypsum, acrylic, and lime plasters.” It comes in two finishes; one is a rough finish similar to those used in Southwest architecture, the other is smooth and described as similar to Venetian plaster. It is a fairly new product so I haven't been able to find much information about it other that that available on the manufacture's website which, of course, emphasizes the pros and not the cons. One feature that appealed to me was that clay plaster remains workable until a sealer top coat is applied. This means you don’t need to sand it smooth like you would with Venetian plaster, just mist the surface with water and wipe it smooth with a sponge or burnish it with a trowel.

04-01-06, 05:56 PM   #4  
So I decided to go ahead and try the clay plaster and it is more beautiful than I anticipated. I used American Clay Loma plaster, which has rough texture, and finished it by wiping the surface with a damp sponge. The result is a gritty, sandy surface that glitters when the light catches it.

The clay plaster was very easy to apply, although there was a bit of a learning curve to figure out the texture I wanted. Here is a very informative video from American Clay Plaster on the mixing and application of the product: http://americanclay.sks.com/applicat...ericanclay.com
Notice how they apply the first skim coat by loading a big trowel with plaster then pulling it up the wall. This will save you a lot of time on the application.

Another bonus to the product is that it smells good. No kidding. I have also used Behr Venetian plaster in a small room and the fumes gave me a headache that lasted for days.

Now for the negatives. It holds up fine for every day use but when I was moving furniture I bumped the wall and the plaster chipped off. I would say it is slightly more brittle than drywall, so I wouldn’t recommend it for a high traffic area like a hallway. On the upside it was easy to patch.

It is also fairly pricy, starting at $1 per square foot and it comes in bags that finish about 100 square feet. I thought it might be possible to save money by mixing your own clay plaster recipe from scratch while using the American Clay primer, finish coat and pigments.

Search this Thread