Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Ceiling seems appear to be breaking through

Old 12-23-05, 07:06 AM
LAL426
Visiting Guest

Two years ago I built my house (a modular home) which is a 3,000 square feet colonial. I have noticed that several areas in the first and second floor ceilings where two pieces of drywall meet the seem is showing through. It looks almost like the compound used when taping between the two pieces of drywall is starting to show through or crack. There are about 5 or 6 areas total where these seems appear to be showing through. Also, there are some corners of walls and door frames where cracks are now present. Is this common for new homes - is this just the house settling? How hard is it to fix this and what do I have to do in order to do so? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-05, 07:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like a settlement issue. I assume your home only had a 1 year warrantty. I don't know much about modular homes, they maybe a little more prone to settle.

Shouldn't be too hard to repair. Depending on the affected area you may just need to refinish with a thin coat of mud. If the tape is coming loose [or non existent] you will need to tape and finsih.

This is really a question for wall patching & plastering so I'll move it there.