Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Stucco Ceiling Replacement

CANADA

12-29-05, 06:59 PM   #1  
Stucco Ceiling Replacement

Hello, Not sure if last post was listed, new here with question.
We purchased an older home (1940) all walls and ceilings are lathe and plaster. We did some extensive foundation work, about 3-4yrs ago the house was lifted and a basement wall re-bricked. House has now settled, went through several Canadian winters and thaws.
I have a livingroom ceiling that has several cracks, some extending the length of the room, some hairline. They are about 2ft apart, were thinking in line with the upper bedroom floor joists. It is a 1/12 storey home. The cracks extend into the plaster coving, which i would like to save, also down into the archways and walls. I had a plasterer give an estimate to fix, he suggested to skim the sponged stucco area, tape and then put a popcorn finish. The cost was horendous. We would like to attempt this ourselves having drywalled our basement. What would be the correct way to do this, should we scape the whole ceiling, use spackle tape then restucco. It is impossible to match the current sponged design. I read prior postings but they dont really apply to my situation?
Thanking you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

12-30-05, 06:37 AM   #2  
Personally I would not use popcorn. It will hide a multitude of sins but can be a bear to paint. If the crack is of any size it will need to be taped. It is possible to match the existing texture, but I doubt I could explain how without seeing it. If you were to retexture the ceiling it would be best to sand/scrape and then skim coat the ceiling so you would have a uniform surface.

Hopefully coops or one of the other plasters will see this post and give you better info for plaster repairs as I have dealt mostly with drywall.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

CANADA

12-30-05, 07:22 AM   #3  
Thanks so much for your reply, I will consider all. I plan on doing this the first week in February, so I have time to wait for replies.
I can sent pics to anyone who wants to see what I am up against.
Thanks again.

Last edited by gmcladee; 12-31-05 at 08:39 AM.

CAL

01-01-06, 05:27 PM   #4  
gmcladee, you have a private message asking for more information and a few preliminary ideas.

Search this Thread