old plaster problems

Old 01-08-06, 11:48 AM
Question old plaster problems

The walls in all the first floor have a rough bumpy texture. The house was built in 1890's, and has lathe under plaster. I think the rough finsh may have been put on around 1930's or 40's. My problem is that I have some cracks where
water damaged the finish. Have some large bubbles on celing, I think the
toilet may have overflowed years ago. Now the old repair has the bubbles
and needs work. Does anyone have information on how to do this.
Taking the rough texture is not an option since all the rooms are open to each other and have same texture. [email protected]

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-06, 05:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums
Anything loose should be scraped off, prime if chaulky and also prime the water stains. You should be able to duplicate the texture with some thinned down joint compound. May take some experimentation to get the desired texture.

Old 01-08-06, 07:26 PM
marksr is right about taking off everything that is loose. Joint mud alone might not match the texture. If work was done in the 30's opr 40's it might be a sand finish. That can be duplicated with jjoint compound and sand but those two ingredients alone won't quite do the job. I can tell you my secret formula for matching a sand finish if indeed that is what you have. Please PM me for the formula if you want it.