Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page > new drywall, mudding/sanding inside corners

new drywall, mudding/sanding inside corners

Old 01-11-06, 04:39 AM
new drywall, mudding/sanding inside corners

I'm not new to drywalling, but my inside corners seem to be hit and miss. Sometimes I put the tape (paper folded) in and it works fine, other times (like this time) it ends up lifting as if there isn't enough mud behind it to help it stick. What am I doing wrong? Also, what is the best way to sand inside corners? Can you get a sanding block something like the 90 deg trowel?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-06, 05:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the tape is lifting it is because there isn't enough mud under it to hold it. I have always sanded with a pole sander and had no problems. I would think your biggest problem is with the mud application and not the sanding.

The times you have trouble with the corners, is that when maybe you are in a hurry and not paying as good attention? 3M sells a sanding sponge that has grit on 4 edges but I am still inclined to think you just need to get a little better with the mud application.

Old 01-11-06, 06:56 AM
I think you're correct. I think I'm probably not leaving enough mud on the wall before I apply the tape. I tend to leave 1/16" of mud approx on the wall before applying mud, where I should probably be leaving 1/8" thickness. I don't really want to try and remove this and redo it, is there a quick fix? Applying more mud over top with a larger feather area possibly? With regards to sanding, I was looking for possibly a 90 deg block to allow me to get right into the corner...

Old 01-11-06, 10:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The only way to repair lifted tape is to remove it, occasionally you can lift a small area, mud and reseal it. You don't need to tape the whole corner again - just cut out the bad area and retape it. You can throw mud at loose tape til the cows come home and it is still likely to be noticable.

I wouldn't think it would be necesarry to sand right into the corner. If it still needs help after regular sanding - add more mud.

Old 01-14-06, 10:02 PM
I have used a plastic mesh "tape" with much better results than paper tape..And I thinks this comes either flat or pre-formed, makes the job easy for a butcher such as I..

Search this Thread