popcorn again

Old 01-26-06, 04:32 PM
popcorn again

Hi, I've got a popcorn ceiling that has been painted over with a semi gloss paint. The problem is that a tape joint has failed from a very old roof leak. Now there's a 5 foot long crack in the middle of the living room ceiling. I know how to fix the crack, but am concerned about the semi gloss paint causing an adhesion problem. Thinking of scraping the entire ceiling, it's not too large, patch the crack, float a skim coat and finish with skip trowel to match the walls. Is there something that I can apply to rough up that semi gloss to prevent future problems? Peelin, flaking. Or is there a better idea out there? I'm fixing it up for sale, so want a good job for new buyers.

thanks...... jim

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-06, 06:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you scrape off the popcorn there shouldn't be an adhesion issue as you will have also removed most of the paint. If you just want to patch, after the joint is ready for texture I would take a cup gun and spray a light coat of deglosser on the surrounding semi-gloss [which will soften the paint] and then spray/blend the popcorn, repaint when dry.

Old 01-27-06, 07:59 AM
deglosser

Will deglosser make it easier to scrape the popcorn off. Painted popcorn is difficult to scrape. Cup gun? HPLV? or LPHV?

Thank you Marksr.

Old 01-27-06, 08:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by JIMS 71
Will deglosser make it easier to scrape the popcorn off. .

Possibly but I wouldn't use it for that purpose - its kinda toxic. If you just use it for adhesion purposes most any cup gun will work - basically you just want to lightly wet the surface.

As you probably know getting the popcorn damp helps with removal but unfortunatetly it is hard to get it wet when sealed with paint. If you want to do a way with the pocorn I would scrape the ceiling the best I can and then skim coat - maybe twice