Caulk for cracks??

Old 01-30-06, 08:13 AM
Caulk for cracks??

First time poster here.

My dear friend just bought the old home next to us. Early 1900's. She has many cracks in her walls and ceiling ( as do I). She swears that multi-purpose caulk will keep the cracks from ever coming back. Has anyone else heard this??? Does it work? Id love to find something that gets rid of the cracks, but dont want to spend the time painting my 12 foots ceilings only to have to go back and do it again.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-06, 09:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Caulking can often work better/easier on cracks as it is flexable and joint compound or plaster is not. It is often very hard to get the caulked crack to disappear. Caulking will often shrink just a little after it dries and it can't be sanded smooth.

Mud and tape is always the best method for repairing cracks. Durabond [dry compound you mix with water] is stronger than joint compound and may last longer. Although I've never used it they make a cloth [?] that you can cover a wall/ceiling with like wallpaper, skim coat and paint.

Old 01-30-06, 09:50 AM
Thank you so much. I think Ill wait and see what happens. When she started, I was worried what would happen when she starts painting over it. So glad I posted first.