Knock Down Spray over Wood Paneling

Old 02-23-06, 07:01 AM
Knock Down Spray over Wood Paneling

We have 4 x 8 sheets of Plywood paneling on our walls and would like to refinish them without applying sheetrock. The panels are not shiny and have a rough finish. It is l2 inch plank pattern with a groove. Is is possible to have a sheetrock type spray, either a knock down or some other patter applied over the wood? How do we treat the groove? Thanks - hope can save us the sheetrock application!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-06, 11:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The grooves can be filled with spackling or joint compound. I have always been leary of texturing paneling but there are some members who claim to have had good success with it. It would probably be a good idea to prime the wood first.

Old 02-23-06, 01:56 PM
Here's the deal. there is no way to fill the grooves without cracking. Believe me, I have tried. The problem is that the wood isn't nailed off very good for 1. 2, wood is always expanding and contracting with heat and cold. So I never recommend doing what you plan on doing.

Old 02-23-06, 01:58 PM
Spraying knockdown over wood paneling

Thanks for your response. What would you prime the wood with. It is a rough finish wood. Actually it is an Aspen paneling that was manufactured in Ironwood, Wisconsin in the 1970's. What I mean by rough is it does not have a glossy finish on it at all. Thanks again!

Old 02-24-06, 08:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Use a solvent base primer.

Reread coops post - that is why I have always been leery of texturing wood.