Bowed Ceiling

Old 03-15-06, 06:31 AM
Bowed Ceiling

I have stippled ceiling in my house in two bedrooms and the ceiling is bowed along the wall that seperates the room, any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-06, 07:47 AM
Question Bowed Ceilings

My bungalow was built in 1978 the ceilings in the bedrooms are stippled, the ceiling on both sides of the wall that seperates the two rooms has a bow in it. The bow is 1 1/2" and extends for about 8' the crack that developed is 4 " from the wall on one side and 8" on the other, there are no signs of water damage. The cracks run perpendicular to the rafters. Any ideas of what is causing this?

Old 03-15-06, 09:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums

Has anyone been in the attic? Sounds like maybe the nails came loose. If so you can prop the ceiling up and screw it tight.

Old 03-15-06, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by marksr
Welcome to the forums

Has anyone been in the attic? Sounds like maybe the nails came loose. If so you can prop the ceiling up and screw it tight.

I went up there and what I found was the wall is pushing up into the ceiling, I went into the crawl space and found the cinder block supports were being crushed. The foundation must of settled[we have had unusally high water table]so I will install teleposts and take the pressure off.