Plastering a cealing

Old 03-18-06, 07:45 AM
Shakuhachi
Visiting Guest
Plastering a cealing

I need to do some major repairs. How the heck do you plaster a cealing? How do you deal with gravity? Doesn't it tend to come down? Or do you just make it thick?

Old 03-18-06, 05:14 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
What type of ceiling do you have? Is it drywall or plaster? The materials used may differ allthough sometimes you can use joint compound and tape over plaster.

The mud [joint compound] will adhere itself to the ceiling but depending on the repair it may take several coats. You don't want to apply a heavier coat than its ability to adhere until dry. Other than minor repairs you will be apt to drip some mud on the floor so a drop cloth [or any cover] is advised.

Old 03-18-06, 08:23 PM
T
Received 48 Upvotes on 41 Posts
If it is plaster is it over wood lath? Metal lath? Gypsum lath? Poured concrete? Something else. These things make a difference. We use spells and incantations to defy gravity. Watch out for gravity surges. We can tell you some of our secrets for a price. The going rate is an arm and a leg but this makes it even harder to do the work. We're thinking about requiring your first born or your own soul.

Old 03-19-06, 07:12 AM
Shakuhachi
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by tightcoat
If it is plaster is it over wood lath? Metal lath? Gypsum lath? Poured concrete? Something else. These things make a difference. We use spells and incantations to defy gravity. Watch out for gravity surges. We can tell you some of our secrets for a price. The going rate is an arm and a leg but this makes it even harder to do the work. We're thinking about requiring your first born or your own soul.

It is plaster over wood lath.

Thanks for the offer but I think I'll keep my arm, leg and soul, (firstborn would be a bargain though) since I will need them to rip up my bathroom floor (but that's another story). Instead I will take Marksr's advice and aply several layers of thinner coats. If that doesn't work I'll just rip the whole frikn thing down and use thin drywall. It is above a suspended cealing anyway.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: