Really rough ceiling

Old 03-25-06, 11:03 AM
Really rough ceiling

How do I fix or make my really rough looking ceiling (12'X17') smooth? Will joint compund do the trick? It's not a popcorn ceiling, just years of painting and repainting have made it look rough and I want a smooth as glass look. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-06, 11:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums

It wouldn't hurt to sand first but joint compound will be the way to go. You need to mix the mud well and add a small amount of water - this will make it work easier. If there are no repairs to be made just hiding roller texture and such, one thin skim coat should do the trick.

Old 03-25-06, 10:00 PM
Thanks Marksr,

Now how difficult is this? What can I practice on? I don't think its too hard and have seen the results. I guess all I will be using is a sand paper, a ladder, trowel, water and joint compound correct? I had my garage built and made of cinder blocks, when it was done the contractor had one of his guys smooth the inside and outside with what I believe to be joint compound and it didn't look that hard.

Old 03-26-06, 09:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Get a sanding pole [you can buy sandpaper or screen to fit - or 1/2 sheet of sandpaper] This will make sanding easier and also help eliminate any grooves that sanding [with just paper] that you may get from uneven pressure from your fingers.

Often it is easier to make the job smaller. Instead of skim coating the whole ceiling, break it down into litle squares. Skim each square in a checkerboard pattern and then go back and fill in the blanks. This way you won't have to deal with wet edges.

Although some use a trowel, I prefer using a wide drywall knife - 10" or wider. Either willl work - whatever you are more comfortable with. Although it is hard work it isn't difficult. Any high spots or ridges can be sanded smooth when dry, any low spots can be filled with another coat of mud.