Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Repair Ceiling????

04-18-06, 12:45 PM   #1  
Repair Ceiling????

I am renovating a home I just bought, someone fell through the ceiling and a repair job was done and it looks like crap to say the least. I would like to know the best way to go about making it look better. Can I sand it back down to the drywall and try to match the rest of the ceiling or should I tear it down (drywall and joint compound) and start over. I have already bought the stifle brush to repair the ceiling in the living room and it does not look to bad. I am kind of new to repairing ceilings. ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated, THANKS

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

04-18-06, 01:02 PM   #2  
Welcome to the forums

First we need to know why the repair looks bad. Is it lower than the rest of the ceiling? Or is it just poorly finished? textured?

You can use a straight edge to see how the repair lines up with the rest of the ceiling. Most often bad repairs are poorly finished and/or textured. You can sand down joint compound and texture but don't sand the drywall it self.

Often all bad repairs need is to skim coat with j/c and then correctly texture.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread