Can I texture over wallpaper?

Old 05-23-06, 02:44 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I texture over wallpaper?

I have really high ceilings, and they are covered in wallpaper from floor the floor up, on all four sides. I started trying to take it off, but it's not coming easily. We plan on texturing the whole room. Does anyone know if we can just texture right over the top of the wall paper, or is that a bad idea?

Old 05-23-06, 03:00 PM
B
I would think that was a bad idea. Once you get it wet with paint and texture it is liable to bubble in spots and then you would have a big mess on your hands. A good rule of thumb in this line of work is the hard way is probably the right way Thinking about it there may be a way to perferate and apply something that will "freeze" it so it would ok to apply the texture. I wouldn't know how to tell you to do this so hopefully someone will chime in with better knowledge on that subject

Old 05-23-06, 03:13 PM
B
texture over paper

I agree.The best way is usually not the easiest,but you will sleep better.Having said that I have removed thousands of rolls of paper in my time[my family owned a wallpaper store in the 70's].A lot depends on the paper , if it is vinyl,foil,mylar,fabric backed or even paper backed.Each type is removed a little different than the other,best to try to get it off and that includes the adhesive[which can mildew over time]..One bright side is if you intend to texture the walls most of the damage will be covered by the texture.good luck B

Old 05-24-06, 07:44 AM
K
It depends on how well adhered the paper is and the type of texture you plan to apply. Of course, if you do texture over it, there are no guarentees that it will stick--and then you will have a mess on your hands. If you choose to remove the paper, I highly recommend the walwik system for removal. Get the whole kit (scorer, paper, remover--but you can probably skip the scraper). The stuff is amazing, I recently removed wallpaper that had been painted at least three times, and in a big oops move venetian plastered over (by me). I had the whole room done in under 5 hours.

I have textured over wallpaper (which will make the texture easier to remove), however, proper prep is essential. First, if the wallpaper is bubbling or peeling, you either need to remove those areas, or just consider the bad areas as indicative of the rest of the paper and remove it. Paint the paper (if it's vinyl or shiny, you should probably scuff sand first) with an oil based primer. You can then texture but make sure its not a reactive type texture. I've only used aquastone (an aqua product faux finishing texture), but have heard you can use others. You may want to look at Gary Lord's books, as he has several finishes he says are permissible over paper.

Old 05-24-06, 10:49 AM
B
texture over wallpaper

I have applied plastertex[another aqua product]over a tight wallcovering after it was oil primed and had great results.I compounded the seams first,then primed,applied plastertex and then glazed it.

Old 05-27-06, 09:02 AM
K
Thank you for all your responses. You've given me a lot to think about. The only reason I'm even considering this, is because the room itself is so massive, and the wall paper seems to be well stuck! Anyway, I still haven't decided what I will do, but I'm going to look into some of the products you've mentioned. Thanks again!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: