Spray Texture: What can I get away with?

Old 06-09-06, 07:01 PM
Spray Texture: What can I get away with?

I've got a bathroom remodel with walls mudded and sanded with a second coat, and everything looks pretty good. However, I've got some areas with tiny bits of fiber tape showing (that came back up during sanding), and a few faint hints of some areas with level changes around some built-in cubbies I put in.

I'm planning on spraying the whole room with orange peel texture (which I've never done before), but wanted to check first to see if the texture process can pretty much hide the little imperfections I mentioned. Aside from the look of texture, I assumed that was a partial benefit that it provided.

Thanks fellers.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-06, 04:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The main reason for texture is to hide imperfections in the finishing. The heavier the texture the more it will hide [atleast to the untrained eye] You say you have never sprayed texture before, how are intending to apply it?

Recoating the areas with mud and then lightly sanding [I prefer a sanding sponge] may take care of the problem. Unless the finishing/texture is really bad once painted most defects tend to go unnoticed by the average person.

Old 06-10-06, 05:46 AM
A good orange peel wont hide your imperfections. You need to get those issues resolved before texture. Also orange peel is the hardest texture to get to look good. You may want to rethink and go with smooth or a light knockdown.

Old 06-10-06, 04:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Re-mud coat over the frayed mesh tape, with a wide band feathered out, and you shouldn't notice any theoretical hump there.

How bad is this fraying, anyway? I have had this happen to me once in a while (although usually it doesn't get frayed as much as it just becomes a little exposed) and because they are rentals, we aren't THAT fussy...but surprisingly, with a 3/8 nap roller and a heavy paint application or two, it gets darn near hid.

And *I* like sanding sponges also. Great invention. There is even grit on the edges of these to get where light switches are next to door casings and making a nice crisp line in the corners.

Old 06-11-06, 06:29 AM
I like the sanding sponges with a bevel cut on one side. They're great for corners.

I'm with coops on the imperfections. Take a few minutes to fix the problem then you won't have concerns about how it will look when painted. It's a lot easier to fix it before you paint.