Stucco or T-111

Old 06-21-06, 05:20 PM
Received 11 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Stucco or T-111

We have an building that had a garage door in the middle of it. The rest of the building has stucco on it. However, someone took the garage door out and covered the hole with plywood. The interior room has been finished to make an additional room inside. From inside, it looks okay, but from the outside the plywood is an eye sore.

I was thinking of taking the plywood down and installing T111 siding in its place. I would think this should be relatively easy project, depending on what I get into once the plywood is off the wall. Seems the 3/4" plywood lines up fairly well with the stucco walls on each side of the "door".

Than I got to thinking, how hard would it be to remove the plywood and replace it with stucco, so the "door" would match the rest of the building.

The area I am talking about is about 9' X 16'. How much stucco mix would I need?

Planned on installing 1/2" playwood, #30 felt paper, stucco netting with paper and than apply the stucco coating. Can I do it all in one coat or do I have to put on a scratch coat, brown coat and than finish coat? The exterior will be painted when done.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Old 06-21-06, 06:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Before you go to all the work of learning how to install stucco, you ought to check out what sheets of Hardipanel stucco look like. I think it would be more acceptable than plywood.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/thexsl...&.dnm=9eb5.jpg

Old 06-21-06, 06:53 PM
R
rpt
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I built a shed with T-111. Yuck. What maintenance. In spite of doing all the right things, priming, two coats of expensive outdoor paint, gutters, it still splits. I replaced two panels and the annoyances are back.

My brother-in-law has T-111 on his house. Same deal.

I don't know much about stucco, but I know about T-111. It looks good for the first couple of years, then get out the repair parts and the paint brush.

Old 06-22-06, 11:47 AM
Received 11 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I wasn't sold on the T111 stuff either, that is why I started thinking of the stucco route.

The Hardipanel sounds like a pretty good idea. Where can I get this stuff? Does the box store handle it?

I haven't done much research on it, so if there is anything else you can tell me about it....I am all ears (eyes).

Thanks again.

Old 06-22-06, 02:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Yes, big boxes should have it. You leave a 1/8 gap between sheets and caulk the seam. As those photos show, it doesn't look half bad.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: