Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

drywalling around shower stall edge

IA

07-10-06, 06:03 PM   #1  
drywalling around shower stall edge

we have our shower stall framed in and plumbed. when drywalling how do we go about drywalling up to the outer edges of the stall and getting the edge covered up and looking right? Do you overlap the edge of the stall that is attached to the framing with drywall? is there any visual examples on this site or anywhere else on the web that would show how to do this? thank you for your help

kevin

Sponsored Links

KS

07-11-06, 04:56 AM   #2  
Either butt up to it then fill the rest of the way with mud and tape. Or you can fur out around the entire tub 1/4".

IA

07-11-06, 12:43 PM   #3  
thanks for the tip, my main concern is that i have a nice neat edge where the drywall meets the shower, as well as making sure that no water gets behind the drywall and into the framing

IA

07-11-06, 06:34 PM   #4  
i think the furring strips sound like the way i want to go - how thin can you buy furring strips? 1/8" would be just enough to make my studs come out flush with the shower surround. is this something that you can buy at a menards or home depot type store?

thank you

KS

07-12-06, 02:47 PM   #5  
I think 1/4" is going to be the thinnest piece of wood strip. Home depot sell cardboard shims that are a 1/16". They come in a bundle and are 1 1/2" wide by 32" long. Thats what I use. just take two of them and sandwich them together and nail it on the wall.

IA

07-13-06, 05:50 AM   #6  
actually i remember i had some long pieces of lumber leftover from when i ripped an inch or so off some 2x6s for another project - i just set my table saw up to rip those down to the width i needed and it worked perfectly, don't know why i didn't think of that before. at any rate i'm all set - thank you for your help

kevin

Search this Thread