help with decorative drywall mud finish

Old 07-15-06, 08:01 AM
help with decorative drywall mud finish

I'm needing some instruction on applying a very heavy texture to my walls using drywall mud and a trowel. It's not the orange peel or anything like that. It's more of a thicker trowel line rough look using pre mixed drywall mud or joint compound. The texture gives a real old world look once it is painted and then glazed. Once finished it looks a little like venetian plaster but with a thicker drywall finish. I know how to do the paint and glaze part but do not have any idea how to achieve the look with the drywall mud. Any one know where I can find out or have any instructions for me. I'd appreciate any help or ideas.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-06, 09:29 AM
JC or drywall mud will not offer a lot of durability. You can add glue and caulk to increase the durability, but a thick application for texture can and will shrink and crack. You may want to look into one of the specialty products-e.g. aquastone by faux effects. As to technique--use a sample board and play around using a trowel and/or floats. Check out Gary Lord's books, as he has several techniques that are easy and very attractive. You could probably practice using JC.