Improve drywall durability?

Old 08-28-06, 03:17 PM
Group Moderator
Improve drywall durability?

I have an inside corner in my office where the drywall keeps getting dinged by a chair. Anything I can use that would provide a more durable surface than spackle so I might not be patching and painting as often?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-06, 04:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like it might be time for chair rail or wainscotting.

Durabond dries harder than spackling or j/c but..........

Old 08-28-06, 06:11 PM
Group Moderator
Yeah, I hear you on the chair rail and the ultimate solution is to get the chair out of the corner in the first place, but it's not going to happen, so... I was thinking something like setting compound or even bondo, sounds like you agree. Thanks.

Old 08-28-06, 10:47 PM
At the local nursing home they have a piece of plexiglass afixed to wall at headboard to keep it from damaging drywall and paint.

You might apply self-adhesive felt to sharp edges on chair that may be damaging walls. Perhaps an upholstered chair would have less impact on walls. There are bumper guard type products if chair is impacting wall in the same place and at the same level all the time: http://www.autogeek.net/parsmarwalgu.html If this is the case, a decorative chair rail may be used.

Old 08-29-06, 04:09 AM
Plastic corner gaurd. It comes in all different colors but clear is mainly used. Should be able to pick it up at any home improvement store.