Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Patching a small hole in wall/sheetrock

09-22-06, 09:34 PM   #1  
Patching a small hole in wall/sheetrock

I'm a student living in a rent house near campus, and though the house is in fairly decent condition, it has some quirks. There's a small hole (about 2.5" in diameter) in the wall/sheetrock, where the placement of a doorstop was neglected. I'd like to patch up the hole, and, of course, get a decent door stop. Is it possible?

Sponsored Links

MO

09-22-06, 09:47 PM   #2  
Anything in the hole now????You could get some joint mud at home depot or lowes. work a little in the hole and let it dry. Then come back the next day with a little more mud in the hole. Dont try to fill it all in at one time. If you have a hole in it. Small cardboard tie string in middle roll it up stick it in the hole let it unroll then pull the string so cardboard close the hole . then put a little mud in it. cut the string off before the last mud in the hole.

ED

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

09-23-06, 04:50 AM   #3  
If you can get a small piece of drywall about 4" in diameter cut the backside leaving a 2" piece of rock. Mud around the hole with joint compound and insert the patch piece. The excess paper [glued by the j/c] will hold the patch firmly inplace. Once dry apply another coat of of j/c over the entire patch, sand and it will be ready for paint.

You can also take a piece of white paper about 4" dia.{or 2 strips of drywall tape] mud around the hole and set the paper in the mud, smoothing it with a broad knife. Apply 2 more coats of j/c sanding as needed.

I assume the hole was from the door knob. The door stop should not be attached to drywall but to the base board. They also sell stops that attach to the hinge.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

09-23-06, 08:27 AM   #4  
Thank you! Yes, the hole was from the doorknob, and the reason it was made was because of a doorstop that was attached to the wall and not the baseboard. definitely not logical!

i think i'll be able to manage this. is there a specific brand of joint compound that is best, and what's the best place to get it at?

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

09-23-06, 10:48 AM   #5  
Most brands of j/c would work fine. I always buy it in 5 gal buckets but it can be bought in 1 gal which is more than you need. Most home supply centers should have it in 1 gal size.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

MO

09-23-06, 11:50 AM   #6  
The big box store have J/C in small cans. And if your walls are white you cant even see it.

ED

CT

09-24-06, 11:05 AM   #7  
Rick - As you can tell from the responses, there's more than one way to fix your hole. I agree with Mark about using a patch piece. You can probably get a piece for free from a damaged sheet at a place like HD.
If you decide to use just mud without a filler piece, do the patch in 3 or 4 coats rather than trying to fill it all at once. A thick coat of mud will dry slowly, shrink and probably crack.

Search this Thread