Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Removing Plaster walls and replacing them with dry wall.

Old 09-25-06, 06:12 PM

Im new with all this. I have hung dry wall before but i have never removed plaster. Exacty what am i getting myself into????

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-06, 05:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums

Originally Posted by JordanB
Exacty what am i getting myself into???
A BIG MESS

Plaster is installed several different ways. Before it was applied something had to be nailed up for it to adhere to. Wood and metal lath were the most common but I think gypsum strips were also used.

Old 09-26-06, 08:53 AM
If the plaster is applied over gypsum lath the mess is not as great as you can take the lath and plaster off in big chunks. Make a hole in the wall and then start pulling or better yet pushing from the other side if you can.
If the plaster is over wood lath it is really messy. Take the plaster off the lath. This will be terribly dusty, then take the lath off this will be almost as dirty as taking the plaster off then you will have thousands of nails to contend with. If you are luck more nails will stay in the lath than the studs. Then pick up all the loose plaster that was inside the walls from before. Then after that get the dust out of the rest of the house and from there on its a piece of cake.
Chances are you don't have plaster over metal lath in a house. I've seen it but it's rare. Beat all the plaster out of the lath then pull the lath off.
If you are doing ceilings you also have the additional mess of all the years' dust in the attic and the insulation.
You might want to consider leaving the plaster.
You might want to think about drywalling over the existing plaster.
Now if you are taking out whole walls maybe you can take a saw and cut clear through the walls and studs then take the wall out in larger sections. Might be less dust. On second thought the saw will make a lot of dust.

Old 09-26-06, 12:42 PM
Before you start bashing or cutting into the wall, be sure to kill any electrical circuits in the room you are in - and possibly the adjoining room if you are removing plaster from the common wall. Also be careful of any water or gas lines. (If your home is really old, there may have been gas lights in some rooms at one time.) Wear a mask and safety glasses.