drywall patch w/o studs near

Old 10-24-06, 06:57 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 208
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
drywall patch w/o studs near

Removed a toilet paper dispenser which was mudded into the wall and am left with a sizable hole with no studs near. Can someone point me in the right direction to correctly patch this hole?

Thank you!
Old 10-24-06, 07:23 PM
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,128
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If it's a sizeable hole:

First, I trim the hole to a square or rectangle , eliminating broken edges/torn paper. Then I cut a "patch" piece the same size (just a tiny bit smaller actually).

I will usually take a piece of plywood/scrap cut longer than the hole and narrower than the hole such that I can insert it into the hole and have wood extend past two of the edges (inside the wall). I'll screw through the existing drywall to suck the wood piece up to the hole to provide a good backing for the repair piece, which I will screw to the wood to hold it in place. From there it's a simple matter to patch/mud the replacement drywall in place.

If it's a smaller hole, I eliminate the "patch" portion of the above instructions and simply mud over the plywood/scrap - in layers, with a layer of drywall tape in there also.
Old 10-24-06, 07:35 PM
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 82
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Heres another that works without anything except drywall and mud. Cut the hole into a square, then bevel the edges to the outside surface of the drywall. Cut a repair patch slightly bigger and bevel the edges toward the inside of the piece. Fit the piece like a plug and fit so it is slightly below the existing wall. Stick er in place with mud and tape, let dry and then finish normally.
Old 10-25-06, 06:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA - N.E.Tn
Posts: 45,411
Received 785 Upvotes on 688 Posts
For large repairs I use the method that thezster discribed.
For small repairs that are too large to cover with tape I prefer to cut a repair piece a couple inches larger than the hole and then back cut and remove all the excess rock leaving the excess paper[on the front]. Then mud around the hole and set the patch in place, smoothing out the paper with a broad knife.
Old 11-01-06, 11:59 AM
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: us
Posts: 364
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I also use the method described by thezster.

I've also just made the hole larger to get back to the studs. On interior walls, I've cut the hole to the inside of the studs and added a small 2x4 pieces to screw into. Alot depends on what will be happening to the area after its done, e.g. is a new toilet paper holder going in this area?
Old 11-01-06, 08:20 PM
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 2,926
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I cut a piece of drywall a bit larger than the hole. I then trace the shape of the piece I cut around the hole. Enlarge the hole to match the patch outline and you get a perfect fit. For large holes screw a couple of strips of wood backing behind the hole to support the patch.
For smaller holes, I use a "hot patch", I cut a piece an inch or two larger than the hole, then I remove the gypsum around the edges being careful not to tear the paper, until I'm left with a patch the size of the hole with paper flanges that overlap the joint.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: