Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Cracked and Sagging ceiling

10-25-06, 07:36 AM   #1  
Cracked and Sagging ceiling

I have a cracked and sagging drywalled cieling in my daughters bedroom. It is along the closet where the tape joint is. The cieling is also bowing down. I was wondering if it would be possible to push the cieling back up or do I have to tear out the drywalled cieling and replace it? I am looking for the most cost efficient way of doing this if there is such a thing.
Thanks much
Tracker7

Sponsored Links

10-25-06, 09:17 AM   #2  
The problem with old drywall is that, quite often, it won't hold when you try to snug it back to the joists. However - try installing new drywall screws, beginning where the sag starts - about every 6 - 12 inches, in an attempt to pull the sag back up. Sometimes I will make a sort of brace out of scrap lumber (like a giant T) to push up the panel before starting to install the screws. If they hold - you're there! If not - you're faced with cutting out the sag and patching with a new piece of drywall.

10-25-06, 08:03 PM   #3  
Just to add to the zesters' procedure: There is on the market a special washer used to pull drywall back into place. It is about 1 inch in diameter, and is dimpled to fit a drywall screw. It will compress into the surface, and has holes in it to help the new mud adhere to it. I beleive they are sold in small boxes of 100. The only place I have seen these is at LEE VALLEY TOOLS, they have a website and are in the US and Canada.

10-26-06, 04:47 AM   #4  
Sagging drywall

Thanks Zester. I will give it a try. If it does not work then I will have to replace and re-texture. Thanks for the advice on the large drywall washers Renolenny. If the first does not work then i might give it a try if i can find them where i am at.
Tracker7

AL

10-26-06, 11:14 AM   #5  
Renolenny, I believe the item to which you refer are actually plaster washers. These are designed to pull loose and cracking plaster back into contact with the lath. http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p=40099&cat=3,41306,41316
I doubt that they will compress beneath the surface of drywall sufficiently to cover with mud without creating a bump on the surface.

Search this Thread