Textured ceiling?

Old 11-06-06, 07:30 AM
Textured ceiling?

I have a non-textured ceiling - 1950's house with some thin drywall on the ceiling. I have seen many newer homes with a textured ceiling...kind of has swirls in it in no particular pattern. Is that just mud swirled around? How is that done and is it something a DIY'er can do? Would the exsiting wall need to be treated with anything?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-06, 08:49 AM
You should prepo the lid first. Wash it with a TSP solution. Then prime it. While you are waiting for the primer to dry get some pieces of SheetRock and mix up some joint mud and experiment. There are a lot of ways to get swirls. The variations are infinite. you can stomp a texture or dab texture or swirl a texture or stomp and swirl you can let it dry and shave the peaks or flatten the peaks while it is still a bit wet or you can leave the peaks. Have fun and remember to try it first on some pieces so you know what you are going to do before you start.

Old 11-06-06, 09:09 AM
Red face

I just painted the ceiling with ceiling paint.

I appreciate the response but what you described doesn't sound like it. Just looks like swirls of mud, could that be it?

Old 11-06-06, 10:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thin down some joint compound to the neighborhood of thick paint and experiment applying it [with a brush]to some scrap drywall - cardboard will also work. The thinner the mud the lighter the texture, thicker = heavier. When you figure out how to texture a small area like you want, you'll have a good idea on how to do the whole ceiling.

Old 11-06-06, 10:45 AM
I didn't describe anything except how to experiment. Maybe you should find a picture of something you like and we can tell you how to do it. You can use a sponge, a rag, a brush, wadded up plastic, gunny sack, your bare hand, or about anything that will hold osme mud or leave a mark in wet mud. Have fun, experiment.

Don't be afraid to experiment

Since you have already painted with ceiling paint the lid is ready to texture. Are you ready?