How to match plaster skimcoat swirls?

Old 11-08-06, 12:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to match plaster skimcoat swirls?

Is there any easy way to match swirl texturing in a plaster skimcoat. I have to tear part of a wall down and frame in a pocket door. I've tried to replicate the swirl texture in one other project and failed miserably! The plaster is REALLY hard to lay on and work. It just sets up so fast!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-06, 03:03 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Examine the plaster closely. Is there sand in the texture? There might be. If so then you have to get the right proportion of sand and the right size sand in the new material. The swirls could have been done so many ways that it's hard to tell you how to do it. Save a piece of your blue board and experiment on it to get the right mud, consistency and tool then do the patch.

Old 11-09-06, 11:30 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No, there's no sand in it. It's just a plaster skimcoat which has had brush swirls textured into it. Any advice on working plaster texturing?

Old 11-09-06, 03:49 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
How large is the patch?
Is it real plaster?
Is the basecoat gypsum plaster?
I'm tempted to tell you to do it with joint mud. It will give you a lot more time to work with it.
The advice I gave before is the best. Experiment then do it when you know how. If you can post some pictures of what you have we can eliminate a lot of possibilities and help you narrow down the texture tool and maybe even the mud consistency.
I see now how large the area is. A plasterer who could look at it could do it or tell you how to do it but he could do it almost as fast as he could tell you how to do it.
Knowing which material to use and how that material works is more than half the battle.