Plastering Problem

Old 11-08-06, 12:21 PM
Plastering Problem

Hiya everyone, i recently PVA'd and bond coated over a textured wall covering, the following day after the bonding coat appeared dry, I PVA'd the bonding coat and applied two coats of finishing plaster. As I was trowelling up I noticed that patches of the bonding plaster had come away from the original wall coating, what have i done wrong?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-06, 02:00 PM
Did you use a PVA paint primer or a PVA plaster bonding agent? What did you use for the bond coat?
I have a guess but only a guess: The adhesive holding the wall covering released then the wall covering stretched or shrank anyway moved so it broke the bond between the wall covering and the bond coat.
Now you want to know what to do about it. How much area is so effected? If it is not much of the area you can probably cut it out and redo it. If it is most of it then try to take the wall covering off and start with fresh walls. I suppose if it had been easy to take the wall covering off you would have but sometimes things imporve with a coat of plaster. You might be so lucky.

Old 11-09-06, 10:43 AM

Hi tightcoat, I did use a PVA plaster primer, the areas affected are only about 10cm Sqaure. I have reapplied PVA to the affected areas and filled in with finishing plaster. Today the plaster repairs appear to be holding, and will be reskimming over the entire wall after reappyling a 50/50 PVA water solution.

Many Thanks for your reply.

Geoff

Old 11-09-06, 02:54 PM
Why are you (did?) you dilute the bonding agent?