Old Drywall Repair


Old 11-14-06, 06:05 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 3
Old Drywall Repair

My wife and I recently purchased a home that was built in the late 50's that we are begining to update. When stripping the wall paper in the entrance and main floor hallways it "feathered" the drywall paper and in some areas completely striped the drywall paper exposing the gypsum. We lightly sanded the surface, then applied a product call drywall conditioner which I purchased at Sherwin Williams, applied mud to smooth out the surface, and then applied a coat of Behr Enamel undercoater primer and sealer. After applying the primer the edges bubbled. What can be done to fix this?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-06, 04:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 43,823
I'm not familiar with either the SWP drywall conditioner or the Behr primer.
Generally when repairing drywall that has exposed gypsum, you start by coating it with a solvent based primer. This prevents moisture [from j/c or latex paint] from reacting with the gypsum.

The bubbled edges need to be cut and removed, then coat the affected area with a shellac or oil base primer. Apply mud when dry.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes