Drywall Seams

Old 11-17-06, 09:31 PM
Unhappy Drywall Seams

Hi,

Is there anyway to hide visible horizontal drywall seams on walls other than replastering over the old seams? Would applying a darker colour paint to the wall help or just make the seams more visible? And is it possible to apply new plaster over the seam after the drywall has been painted? I assume that the plaster would have to be feathered out better to hide the seam.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-06, 05:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums

While changing color or sheen can help to make the defects less visable it isn't all that hard to fix the bad drywall finishing.

Using joint compound [mix it well = spreads easier] apply it over the seam with a drywall knife. The knife needs to be at least 6" wide but 10" or 12" does better. Basically you fill all the low areas and sand when dry. To cut down on the sanding dust you can use a wet sponge [after j/c dries] to soften the j/c and smooth it out.

When everything is smooth it will be ready to prime and paint.

Old 11-18-06, 07:34 AM
nap
marksr makes good points.

One other situation I have seen is that the joint was originally over filled. While you can feather a 2 inch hump into the surrounding area, if the joint is extreme, it would be better to actually sand down the joint to a minimal level to start.

You can only disguise a hump so much.

Another point from my own observations.

I have seen where the paint over the actual joint was of a bit different texture (probably from the difference in the absorbtion of the paper vs. the joint compound) and it will draw your eye to that difference and exagerate the joint. Be sure you prime adequately to avoid this from happening.

Old 11-18-06, 09:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by nap
I have seen where the paint over the actual joint was of a bit different texture (probably from the difference in the absorbtion of the paper vs. the joint compound)

This usually caused by no or wrong primer, as noted, a good drywall primer will fix this although often just another coat of paint is sufficent. The other thing that happens [with new drywall] is sometimes the j/c is over sanded making the paper fuzzy. This requires sanding and another coat of paint.

Old 11-18-06, 09:55 AM
nap
Originally Posted by marksr
The other thing that happens [with new drywall] is sometimes the j/c is over sanded making the paper fuzzy. This requires sanding and another coat of paint.
exactly. it can make a seam very noticable.

That is why I suggested adequate priming. It can make a quite good j/c job look like poo.

Mudding and having it blend well is an art that many seem to have a hard time mastering.(I'm a sparky so I don;t claim to do mud well. Merely observations from a nitpicker) The lumps and such will always be there. The art is to make them blend and disguise them so you do not take notice of them.

Old 11-18-06, 11:10 AM
In my experience (hanging drywall for 35 years as a DIYer...) - the secret is twofold - being able to put the mud down smoothly - and secondly - being willing to do the sanding required to make it blend if you don't get the first part down well enough. A little hard work never hurt anybody - and will give you a better job in the end.