Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

joint compound-ready mixed or mix yourself?

Old 12-19-06, 05:53 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have been advised at the tile forum not to use ready mixed thinset.
Does this also apply to joint compound or are there good products on the market for joint compounds nowadays?

Old 12-19-06, 06:37 AM
W
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Both ready mix thinset and ready mix joint compound have their uses. I use the ready mix joint compound for small jobs where mixing is too inconvenient. I'm too lazy to hump around a 50# bag of thinset just to tile 3-4 s/f of backsplash. The same is true of ready mix thinset. It works fine for repairs and small jobs like vanities, table tops etc.

Pros will usually stick to the bagged thinset and joint compound because they're using it all the time and they're usually doing large jobs.

Old 12-19-06, 06:48 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Ready mix buckets of joint compound are easier to work with. It still should be mixed - either with a paddle and drill or mix in the pan with your knife. Thinning slighly usually makes it work a little easier.

Powdered joint compound is different from the regular j/c. Regular j/c is water soluable and dries as the water evaporates. Setting compounds like durabond are mixed with water, dry chemically and have a limmitted work time. Since they set up fast, they are usually used where there are time constraints. They also tend to be harder to sand.

Old 12-19-06, 07:41 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thank goodness I can use ready mixed J/C.
I know there are different kinds like all purpose and different dry times. What is the best kind to use for a newbie?
And thanks for the replies

Old 12-19-06, 09:26 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I think the lightweight stuff is the easiest to use.

Old 12-19-06, 10:57 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
They say the lightweight isn't good for the 1st [bed] coat - not enough adhesive properties - I have used it for taping small repairs and haven't had any problems.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: