Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

taping and mudding

12-18-06, 03:13 PM   #1  
taping and mudding

Maybe I put my question in the wrong place (walls and ceilings)?

Is there a secret to this procedure?
Is the first coat, when you embed the tape, slightly thnner than the next two?
I end up having to sand and sand!!!!
It certainly is an art and I admire the people who can do it so well.
Any help greatly appreciated.
I just read the taping question about the paper tape, do you use that just for cracks or also for taping seams of new wallboard?

-------------------------------------------------------
***Moderator's note: Duplicate thread created in Walls and Ceilings Forum has been deleted***

Last edited by DIYaddict; 12-18-06 at 03:39 PM. Reason: see note in post

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

12-18-06, 03:31 PM   #2  
Paper tape must be use in the corners, either mesh [sticky] tape or paper tape can be used on flat joints - paper tape does a better job. All joints should be taped.

Thinning the j/c slightly does make it work better. To avoid a lot of sanding you should rake off all excess mud as you apply it. I know you already found out sanding is no fun!! Personally I'd rather apply an extra coat of mud than do extra sanding.

Use a 4"-6" broad knife for the bed and tape. Run the knife tightly across the tape, pressing it in place and removing any excess mud. When dry, apply another thin coat of mud using a wider knife [8"-10"], again pull the knife across the joint, filling in the low areas, slightly covering the tape, removing any excess. The 3rd coat is usually done with a 12" or 14" knife resulting in a wider joint with little or no hump.

You don't have to have every size knife. A 6" and 10" or 12" is enough to do the job. The smoother you apply the mud the less sanding you'll need to do

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

12-18-06, 04:19 PM   #3  
Should I also use paper at the ceiling and wall seam?
And thanks for the advice if only it was as easy as it sounds!!!!!!!!!

Group Moderator

WI

12-18-06, 09:04 PM   #4  
Yes, tape every seam.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

12-19-06, 06:19 AM   #5  
Posted By: scouser if only it was as easy as it sounds!!!!!!!!!
Drywall work is fairly simple but it's never easy!

When taping corners or wall to ceiling, fold the paper tape along the crease and then press it into your bed coat, smoothing it out with your broad knife.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread