Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Tips on removing texture prior to repainting

12-19-06, 11:10 PM   #1  
Tips on removing texture prior to repainting

I recently purchased a house and installed ceiling fans in all rooms. I'd like to repaint the ceilings since the original color can't be matched around the new fixtures. The ceilings and walls all have rough sprayed plaster texture that has not been knocked down.

Is there anyway of removing the texture or are sanding or spackling the ceilings my only choice?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

12-20-06, 06:25 AM   #2  
Welcome to the diy forums

If the ceilings haven't been painted the texture can be disolved with water and elbow grease.

If they have been painted it is unlikely that you could disolve the texture enough to remove it. Your best bet would be to scrape and sand what you can and then skim coat the ceiling with joint compound.

Even if you can remove the texture the ceiling would still need skim coating or atleast application of another texture.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

12-20-06, 08:35 AM   #3  
Thanks for the info

Thanks for the assistance.

I'm thinking at this point it would be so much work as the pattern is replicated throughout the house (wallls and ceilings) it's best to leave well enough alone lol. I'd prefer the knock-down look but there would just be too much surface area to deal with in a 3000 sq ft house.

Search this Thread