Ceiling is sooo ugly!

Old 12-21-06, 01:45 PM
Ceiling is sooo ugly!

When we moved into our 1985 home last year the first thing we did was take down all the popcorn from the ceiling. We had a hardwood installation scheduled shortly after we did that so we had to address the problem of the bare ceiling later.

Well I am not a very good DIY person, I had one of those dads who wouldn't let me touch anything growing up, but I am trying to learn. Now we have this room that is fully furnished but the ceiling is bare. Yesterday I put up a coat of joint compound to smooth out some of the marks caused by scraping the popcorn off. Today it is dry and (mostly) white but it doesn't look good.

I want to achieve a simple texture, nothing flamboyant, just a uniform looking coat of something or another so it looks good.

The problem is that the room is fully furnished and I don't have the manpower to move out the heavy bed, and I also don't want to mess up the existing paint job (on the walls) which I worked really hard on. I don't mind spending a lot of time working on this but I want the least messy solution possible.

Help! And thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-06, 03:21 PM
OK, You asked
This is a pretty simple texture you can do from the floor if you can reach over the furniture or stand on it or in some way do all the lid without moving the furniture. I don't know what you have in the room and how much but if you can do it here is what to do.

This is the definitive proceedure. Any other ideas you may read here are half baked.

FIRST COVER EVERYTHING WITH PLASTIC, LARGE PAPER OR CARDBOARD.
Start at the bottom i.e. floor and work your way up. Tape 2,4,or 6mil plastic to the floor with vinyl or duct tape so you get a good seal. The right tapes will stick ot what eve you have carpet. tile, wood of whatever Don't rush through this. After the floor is covered get some large cardboard boxes and cover the plastic. Plastic is slick and the cardpoard will help it stay put and you won't slip arond on it.
Then cover the furnishings. larger single pieces of plastic are better than little pieces.
Then cover the wall. Tape 1 mil or lighter plastic right at the angle of the wall and ceiling. This will protect your paint job. us the tape that sticks the best and comes off clean without taking paint with it. Probably painter's tape or masking tape or blue making tape will work You want it to stay up until you are finished.

Now that you have the masking and covering done the rest is easy.
Get a five gallon bucket and in it put a gallon of latex paint. it can be tinted. maybe you will come up with a color that you like. To tht add a box of all purpose joint compound. Mix it with a drill and paddle. This is your testure mud. You can thin it with a bit of water if you need to but don't get it too thin to start with.
Now you need a stomper. You can buy a round texture brush or a crows foot brush or make your own. A piece of plywood with some shaggy carpet works well. Make the stomper small enough to fint into the five gallon bucket.
Then dib the stomper into the bucket and start stomping it against the ceiling. The consistency of the mud and the number of times you stomp it will determine the heaviness of the texture. You can also stomp and twist to get different effects. If you don't have peaks that are too high you can leave it like this or you can knock it down with a wide knife or trowel after it has dried some but not completely. This will leave flt spots. I like to let it dry then shave off high spots with a trowel. This tends to polish the high spots a bit for a nice effect.

Now stop and admire your work.

If you want to paint do it before you uncover but wait until the texture is completly dry.
Then unmask from the top down. First the walls then the furnishings then the cardboard and finally the plastic on the floor. With care all you will need to do is sweep or vacuum.

What I said in my second paragraph notwithstanding, the advice you get here is worth what it costs you.

Let us know how it works maybe send some pictures.

Old 12-21-06, 03:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
For a stomp texture I prefer to thin the j/c a little more than tightcoat described and then roll the mud on like heavy paint and then stomp it with a brush. The end result is similiar - a roller just makes it easier for me. You'll need to decide what works best for you.

Since everything is all masked off, you could also spray a knock down texture but it does require the use of an air compressor and hopper gun.

Search this Thread