Taping drywall joints

Old 01-17-07, 07:43 PM
Question Taping drywall joints

Im doing some drywall work and had to replace all the drywall in the kitchen in a house. Im new to doing the joints so I have a few questions.
Do you use the paper tape or the screen mesh tape for the joints?
If you use the paper tape do you get it wet? I seen a guy do it and he soaked the paper in water then stuck it to the wall but from what I read on this site and on this old house they never said anything about getting the tape wet.

If anyone has anything to add that may help me I would love to hear it.
Thanks alot

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-07, 04:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Paper tape has a better track record than the sticky mesh tape. Paper tape must be used on inside corners. I've never wet the tape first but it is possible there is an advantage I'm not aware of.

If the joints are fairly tight you can begin taping - large gaps should be prefilled with joint compound first [let dry] Basically you smear a thin coat of j/c on the joint, press on the tape and then wipe smooth with a broad knife pressing down on the tape wiping off all excess j/c. Make sure it is dry before applying the next coat of j/c.

Old 03-26-08, 04:38 PM
drywall taping

I agree with marksr. I like the paper tape better. I might use the mesh tape for repairs. It's interesting that you bring up wetting the paper. It's a method I've used for years, but don't remember where I got the info. The reason I wet/moist the tape is the same reason mason's wet brick before cementing. To keep from drawing the moisture out of the cement/compound and weakening the compound. There's a million site on the net on how to tape if you really need to go there. Good luck Ted

Old 03-26-08, 04:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hello, tasobo,

Welcome to the forums!

It's great that you've chosen to answer a question on your very first post, but let us hope he has finished that job by now

Still, someone may come along, read and benefit from the post.

Connie

Old 03-26-08, 05:46 PM
Paper over mesh. Paper is simply stronger for movement. I say no to wetting the tape first. There is enough water in the joint compound. Wetting first may make the JC slide around on the tape. 99.9% of all new drywall work does not wet down the tape first.

Old 03-26-08, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by tasobo View Post
It's interesting that you bring up wetting the paper. It's a method I've used for years, but don't remember where I got the info. The reason I wet/moist the tape is the same reason mason's wet brick before cementing. To keep from drawing the moisture out of the cement/compound and weakening the compound. There's a million site on the net on how to tape if you really need to go there. Good luck Ted
Ive seen where a guy wets teh tape and leaves water marks in the wall. Also when using a JC like a 60 or 90min what happens when the compound sets up on the wet tape? Will it glue itself to wet paper?

I think its better to do it dry, the tape will absorb the moisture in the compound pulling the adhesive into the paper.
Thats my 2 cents.

Originally Posted by nagra4s View Post
Paper over mesh. Paper is simply stronger for movement. I say no to wetting the tape first. There is enough water in the joint compound. Wetting first may make the JC slide around on the tape. 99.9% of all new drywall work does not wet down the tape first.