Spray texturing a new ceiling.

Old 02-18-07, 02:20 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Spray texturing a new ceiling.

I am finishing my basement and will be texturing the ceiling using a "knock down" technique,..I have done this before in another part of my house,and although it was my first time,it turned out pretty good, except for the color,it wasn't white enough. I rented the machine from Home Depot and asked if the compound they recommended was white,and they just kinda looked at me funny and said ,"Ya of course"..But its not its ,grey. Do the pros add paint to it?

I've read that some brands of roll on texturing have you add a gallon of paint to the mix,same for sprayers?

Anyone have the answer?

thanks

Old 02-18-07, 09:34 PM
Cool

"Ya of course"..But its not its ,grey. Do the pros add paint to it?

I know what you mean by grey but it is a dull & boring white.

I sprayed this muck for three year's in my younger day's & many a time's homeowner's would request adding paint to the hopper mix.

Not only would it add color but also density & strength to the mixture,especially if the stucco/stipple you are using has an polystyrene aggregate base.

Mix well & stick with latex,but as usual a semigloss or pearl finish will be more durable than the flat that would be the norm on most ceiling's.

And make sure ya clean that hopper out well,so those guy's @ HD don't hit ya with a clean-up fee upon return.

Old 02-19-07, 04:16 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Adding white latex paint to the texture will fortify and lighten the texture.
IMO it is better to skip the paint in the texture and paint the texture after it dries - this will also help to seal/protect the texture, also makes for a better looking job.

Old 02-19-07, 07:22 AM
M
Did some more reading on this, and found this tidbit. It also says what MANY others say,not to paint the ceiling afterwards.

The proper product for such an application is called 'Super White texture compond.' Granted it's twice as expensive as drywall mud but it's made for the application.

Secondly, never paint the finished texture after it's done. Here are the proper steps:

1) Finish the wall or ceiling as normal ( taping with Sheetrock 90 then normal mud for next 2-3 coats, then sanding ready for paint ).

2) Coat the wall or ceiling with 2 coats high-quality primer/sealer (add 6 drops black tint per 5 gallons white primer....If you want a particular colour you can tint the texture accordingly before spraying).

3) Spray the wall or ceiling with a good quality texture sprayer using "Super White texture compound," do a 1/3 trigger pull then full trigger pull for each section. This method gives a nice VERY FINE SPIDERWEB underlayment with the regular sized knockdown in the foreground (very classy look).

4) Knockdown the sprayed texture when lightly tacky (after 10 - 20 minutes)

5) You are now completed, DO NOT PAINT finished textured surface, it's done.

Gonna see if I can find this product and skip the adding paint/painting afterwards..

thanks guys

Old 02-19-07, 07:34 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Since I'm a life long professional painter I might be a little biased but I can't see where it would NOT be a good idea to paint the texture. While I'm not familiar with the 'super white' texture, joint compound is water soluable and as such can be degraded by humidity. Paint protects the texture!

Old 02-19-07, 07:41 AM
M
Perhaps it's because the texture would break down when the paint is applied? Thats what I figured they meant,unless you're using a sprayer,which a pro likely would..I would not. I'm not as worried as much about the durability of the texture (not a high traffic area ) as the color.

Thanks for the painters insight,will keep it in mind for sure.

Old 02-19-07, 08:11 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Paint shouldn't hurt new texture once it has dried and sooner or later the ceiling will need painting. The biggest problem areas with unsealed texture is bath room showers and areas near where windows or doors are often left open. Once texture becomes degraded from moisture it can be difficult to paint [it may loose it's bond with the ceiling]

Walls are textured and painted all the time.

Old 02-19-07, 04:14 PM
Not familiar with this Super White texture compound but it make's sense that the manufacture would try to detract the consumer from painting their product for the obvious reason....No one would spend the extra money on the product.

Hope it work's out well anyhow!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: