Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Removing Old Texture, Adding Trim Around Doors

Old 02-27-07, 01:33 PM

1) I've got walls that were textured in the 70's, I'm guessing. It looks like a thick paint was applied with long-hair rollers to produce a wavy look. What's the best way to lose this texture so that I can retexture the walls with something like an orange peel texture? I'm thinking coarse sand paper on a random orbit sander... but wanted to check with the pros first.

2) When are baseboards and door trim installed: before or after texturing walls? I'm guessing before... so that the molding isn't sitting on top of a texture, but instead sits flush on the wall... any comments?

3) When I get all of the walls prep'd, a guy is going to come over and texture them. I want a clean and consistent texture throughout the house. There's a texture on some walls that isn't toooo deep (doesn't have a lot of relief), it looks like it was sprayed on with a coat of paint (???). Anyway, the guy that's coming to texture the walls said don't worry about sanding this texture down, just scrape some of the "prickly" parts off and you won't notice it when he retextures the orange peel over it. Is this true? I'm sure there are a lot of variables (amount of texture he applies, etc.), but wanted to get your opinions. I figure if I'm going to be removing texture on some walls, I might as well do it anywhere it's needed now and not worry about it later...

Thanks in advance for any input. I've learned a ton from these forums!

Bill

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-07, 01:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the diy forums Bill

#1 - It is best to first scrape what you can of the old texture smooth, then you can either sand it the rest of the way or it might be easier to skim coat a thin coat of joint compound on the walls and lightly sand when dry.

#2 - You always want to texture before hanging trim/woodwork, doesn't hurt to prime the texture prior to installing woodwork = faster, less cut in.

#3 - Hard to say, sight unseen. Generally nice even slick walls texture the best. How much do you trust your contractor? Does he garuntee those walls will look fine?

Old 02-28-07, 02:05 PM
Awesome. Thanks for your advice, Marksr.

Bill