skim coat

Old 02-28-07, 07:16 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
skim coat

I am removing my popcorn ceilings and am not sure if i am going to do knockdown or leave smooth. My question is if i need to skimcoat do i use full strength joint compound or should i water it down some? Thanks

Old 03-01-07, 07:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Upvotes on 631 Posts
I almost always thin and MIX [well] my j/c. It makes it spread easier!

Old 03-01-07, 07:28 PM
J
The choice is yours to make the end product will be the same either way. Some of my guys like to mix a small amount of dish soap, they say it comes out smoother to where they barely need to sand.

Old 03-05-07, 11:46 AM
M
Skim Coat

I'm also skimmimg some walls. What should the consistency be after thinning the j/c? Also, I couldn't get all the glue off from the wallpaper. Should I apply a coat of oil-based primer before I skim?

thanks

Old 03-05-07, 12:07 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know if I have the words to describe the correct thickness of thinned down mud. IMO thinning the mud makes it a lot easier to apply. If you thin it too much you will have trouble keeping it on your knife. You can practice thinning just the mud in your pan and when it works well - thin the rest of the mud similiarly.

You really should remove all the adhesive! I guess you could apply the mud ok without priming/sealing the glue if it is stuck hard. It would be a bit of a mess if any glue come loose into the mud.

Old 03-05-07, 12:54 PM
M
Skim Coat

I hear you on the Adhesive. I have tried DIF, Vinegar/Water, etc. It just won't come off. Somebody told me I should Oil Base prime because it will not allow the glue to re-activate. They also said that by using a water based primer or just skimming over you may re-activate the glue & cause bubbling or cracking.

Old 03-05-07, 05:17 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by mitch66 View Post
I hear you on the Adhesive. I have tried DIF, Vinegar/Water, etc. It just won't come off.
What about the magic ingrediant - ELBOW GREASE it can be hard to find.

Removing wallpaper is seldom fun. Solvent based primers should seal the glue.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: