Drywall 101

Old 03-29-07, 04:58 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drywall 101

I just hung the drywall and need to know the best type of mud to use for the first coat (tape coat). I understand the paper tape is the key from reading the posts here. In the past I have used the dark blue container for the first coat then finished with the light blue. Is this the best choice or should I consider using a speed setting compound for the first coat.
Also when finishing inside corners I used the metal with paper flange corner bead on an addition I finished last fall. I notice the paper flange has let loose in some areas and do not know if this is from the wrong choice of mud, settling or if I did not install it properly. Should I use the paper tape for the inside corners?

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 03-29-07, 05:05 PM
T
You can find Drywall 101 info by clicking the Info Tab at the top of the page. Then click Walls.

Old 03-30-07, 06:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 404 Votes on 360 Posts
Leight weight mud shouldn't be used for taping, use the green lid for the first coat - it can be used for any coat. Using a setting compound also does a good job for taping, actually for any coat but the final one. I always use paper tape for inside corners.

Old 04-05-07, 06:38 PM
J
Use paper tape everywhere, unless you have walls at angles other then 90*. Use whatever coumpoud you prefer they're all pretty much the same, don't worry about using different types from taping to finnish coats. I have never heard of using different weight compounds on the same joint. Use a heavier product if you want a more scratch resistant finnish, lighter compounds are easier to use for a beginner but have to be more careful when sanding.

Old 04-10-07, 12:45 PM
J
Thanks!

Well I started the taping this past weekend. Using the paper tape for all joints, inside corners as well as flat surfaces and a metal bead for outside corners. I am also using the green lid compound. I would like to again thank you all for your help. I have asked for help regarding drywalling in the past but got a little concerened when my last project had a few issues. I am told this was from the settling, but I just like to make sure.

Thanks again,
Jeff

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: