Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Is the Harbor Freight texture gun decent?

03-29-07, 06:58 PM   #1  
Is the Harbor Freight texture gun decent?

I need to spray some very fine orange peel texture over some patched drywall. I've tried the aerosol texture sprays and they never look good. Noticed this Harbor Freight sprayer and if it works fairly well it seems perfect for what I need. I have never bought anything from HF...understand the quality is questionable. Does anyone have experience with this particular item?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=2471

(it's an "Air Paint Texture Gun" for $29.99)

Any other tips welcome as well. Home Depot has an all-plastic gun by Homax that would probably work, but it's about twice as much as the HF one.

Need something that will work with my 1HP 5.5 gal compressor.

Thanks,
Chris

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-30-07, 06:02 AM   #2  
I've not used or know anyone who has used a HF hopper gun but these terxture guns aren't overly complicated. As long as the trigger mechanism opens and closes properly there shouldn't be any problems. Texture size is both determined by the consistency of the texture and which orifice is used when spraying it.

Your compressor is a bit small for spraying a whole wall/ceiling non stop. It is fine for repairs. If you do a large section you will need to give the compressor enough time to build up pressure as it will struggle to keep up. Uneven output pressure = uneven texture spray.

fyi - HP new price = what I paid for my godblatt hopper gun used about 20 yr ago.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

03-30-07, 06:40 AM   #3  
I'll only need it for small repairs, so I think I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the input. The one at HD is probably ok, but for twice as much, I'd rather take my chances with HF. Will try to report back with my findings.

04-05-07, 06:55 PM   #4  
Wouldn't it be cheaper to rent if this is all you need to do, Unless you plan on multiple uses purchasing a gun seems like a waste of money, if you do plan on using it multiple times buy the better one. I can tell you from experience that using a cheap sprayer is no fun.

Search this Thread