When did they stop using asbestos

Reply

  #1  
Old 03-31-07, 08:29 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Missouri
Posts: 20
When did they stop using asbestos

I would like to scrape and redo the popcorn ceilings in my 1981 home. When did the US quit using asbestos in ceiling texture. How else could I verify that I wouldn't be dealing with asbestos? Are there readily available test kits?

Bob
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 04-01-07, 05:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 43,792
Asbestos was banned in the USA in 1978. The gov't did allow for all asbestos texture supplies to be used up. Your house PROBABLY doesn't have asbestos in the texture but there is no way to know for sure without testing. There are kits available but I've never gotten one so I couldn't tell you where. I'd expect google would be a good place to start - or a paint/drywall supply store.

Asbestos is mainly dangerous in the dry powder form. IF the texture is kept wet and contained, the danger is minimal.
 
  #3  
Old 04-05-07, 07:15 PM
Member
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 94
Keep the dust down wear a mask or respirator and you have nothing to worry about. Asbestos won't cause cancer even if you inhale some when removing popcorn. 95% percent of cancer cases were from people that handled the stuff daily mostly on ships where they used it to insulate pipes and boilers. Also a large number of cancer victims were smokers with diminished lung capacity. You can thank the lawyers and news media for all the histeria related to asbestos, so unless you smoke and plan on snorting the popcorn from the ceiling daily worry not.
 
  #4  
Old 04-05-07, 07:22 PM
Member
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 15,834
You can purchase asbestos test kits. Click this link to see: http://www.hardwareandtools.com/invt/pr108

Whether or not popcorn contains asbestos, you still should proceed with caution, especially of sanding and scraping. You do not need to be breathing the dust. If popcorn has been painted, it can be a pain to remove. The trick is to keep popcorn wet. Painted popcorn is difficult to wet. A stripper, gel type that will not drip, can be used. It will keep the popcorn wet. Seal the room off and cover everything.
 
  #5  
Old 04-05-07, 11:23 PM
Member
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 53
Originally Posted by Jampac View Post
Keep the dust down wear a mask or respirator and you have nothing to worry about. Asbestos won't cause cancer even if you inhale some when removing popcorn. 95% percent of cancer cases were from people that handled the stuff daily mostly on ships where they used it to insulate pipes and boilers. Also a large number of cancer victims were smokers with diminished lung capacity. You can thank the lawyers and news media for all the histeria related to asbestos, so unless you smoke and plan on snorting the popcorn from the ceiling daily worry not.
Take all advice you get on the internet with a grain of salt and do your own research. I don't panic about it either, but I don't think I would be as blaise as Jampac.
 
  #6  
Old 04-06-07, 02:26 PM
Member
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: usa
Posts: 242
I just went through this! I found a place to send the sample with $35 and they emailed me the results just 2 days later! The kits take 2 weeks or more.

Our test came back positive but for less than 1% crysolite and our house was built after yours. After it was banned, builders still were allowed to use up their stock and some continued for over 10 years!

Most of the tests of people we knew came back 3%-10% so now I have to make the call to do it myself or have it done by the hazmat guys but no contractor will do it here even though it says <1%! Hazmat estimator just left and charges a bit over $3/sq ft!

I have 2 small kids so I am trying to decide how to proceed but if you want the lab info, I am not sure I can post it here but I can email it to you along with what little I've learned!

(by the way, thanks 12pole! I am leaning to the gel application if I do it myself. Can you tell me the brand names to look for?)
 
  #7  
Old 07-16-09, 08:45 PM
Member
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by psyche11 View Post
Take all advice you get on the internet with a grain of salt and do your own research. I don't panic about it either, but I don't think I would be as blaise as Jampac.
Unfortunately, too many people have this opinion. Asbestos is the leading cause of death last year in the construction industry.
Any inviromental lab can test your drywall filler, lino etc, for asbestos. It's best to get the pros in, but if you do plan to tackle the job, poly the area you will be working in. Wear a respirator with proper filters for asbestos, a dust mask cannot stop asbestos, it's too small.double bag all debris and use a hepa vacuum to clean up . There are too many precautions to mention here, search your local occupational safety web site for proper asbestos abatement. Best advice is leave it to the pros, gl
 
  #8  
Old 07-16-09, 08:49 PM
Member
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by b4413 View Post
I would like to scrape and redo the popcorn ceilings in my 1981 home. When did the US quit using asbestos in ceiling texture. How else could I verify that I wouldn't be dealing with asbestos? Are there readily available test kits?

Bob
Take a small sample ( approx, 1" x 1") to your local enviromental lab, they can test it for you, for a fee of about 35- 50 dollars per sample.Texture that contains asbestos is considered high risk during removal. GL
 
  #9  
Old 07-22-09, 01:44 PM
awesomedell's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 2,425
The advice given by Jampac as how to properly remove the asbestos is pretty much on track. Unless you have deep pockets you will find having a "certified" crew remove the texture is very costly. Seal the room during removal, doors, vents etc, put down 2 layers of plastic to catch the debris, wet it down thoroughly, and scrape the stuff off. Wear a mask during the process and all will be fine. Honestly this is exactly the procedure that the "certified" crew would use. I'm not certified and have removed a lot of old texture & this is how I have always done it & I sleep very well at night. But as another poster pointed out, by all means, take advice offered via the internet for what it's worth.
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes