Drywall thickness variations

Old 04-01-07, 06:00 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drywall thickness variations

The only size I'm unsure is made is, 1/4 inch drywall. Do they??

Reason I ask is I installed new patio doors (french) and the interior corners were disturbed. I will have to replace the corner bead and patch as necessary. HOWEVER, on one side of the doors, drywall had to be removed so the door hinges could clear. This drywall is on one of the "jam" sides.

I only have about 1/4'' clearance to slide new drywall behind the hinges so the framing wood will not be seen. If they don't make 1/4'' sheet rock, what other options do I have?

Old 04-02-07, 04:25 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 364 Posts
You should be able to get 1/4" drywall at any drywall supply house.

Old 04-02-07, 06:18 AM
G
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
You should be able to get 1/4" drywall at any drywall supply house.
How bout any home improvement store, like Lowes?

Old 04-02-07, 06:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I've never seen any 1/4" rock at any of the big box stores. Look in the yellow pages under drywall suppliers.

Old 04-05-07, 06:29 PM
J
How long is the wall you want to install the 1/4" drywall on? The reason i'm asking is that 1/4" drywall should not be used as the only layer, meaning screwed directly to the framing. On standard 16" oc framing there will be noticeable deflection in the drywall between the studs. Also 1/4" drywall won't cut it in durability, should anything or anyone hit the wall it will break. If you absolutely have to use it add latera blocking or an extra stud so that there is only 8"'s between studs. Make sure the framing is as straight as possible, good luck.

Old 04-08-07, 03:00 PM
G
Originally Posted by Jampac View Post
How long is the wall you want to install the 1/4" drywall on? The reason i'm asking is that 1/4" drywall should not be used as the only layer, meaning screwed directly to the framing. On standard 16" oc framing there will be noticeable deflection in the drywall between the studs. Also 1/4" drywall won't cut it in durability, should anything or anyone hit the wall it will break. If you absolutely have to use it add latera blocking or an extra stud so that there is only 8"'s between studs. Make sure the framing is as straight as possible, good luck.
I'm only using it to cover a 80'' x 1 1/2'' area. Its inside a door frame where I just installed new french doors. I need something thin enough to clear the hinges. I had to remove the old drywall so the door would clear the opening. Now I only have a small space to patch between the hinges. Kinda hard to explain.

I don't know how I'm gonna fix this yet.

Old 04-09-07, 05:05 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
1/4" rock is fine for a door return. Since you need so little I'd ask if they have any scrap 1/4" or a damaged piece. Maybe you can get what you need either free or at a reduced price

Old 04-09-07, 04:02 PM
J
Now I understand, !/4" drywall will work fine, also you could apply the compound directly to the 2x to gain even more room. I have done this before without problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: