Liquid Nail Removal from Drywall

Old 04-05-07, 09:34 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Liquid Nail Removal from Drywall

We are in the process of removing all the lovely faux wood paneling from our home. Of course the paneling was not just nailed up, it was attached with liquid nail. We've pulled the paneling off & now have swirls of liquid nail left behind on the drywall. What would be the best way to remove the liquid nail from the drywall? We'd like the wall to be painted in the end, smoothly if possible, but I'd settle for textured if necessary. The entire downstairs & stairs are paneled. If possible, I really don't want to gut the entire downstairs. Thanks for any advice & help!

Old 04-05-07, 06:11 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Depends on how thick the stuff is... Removing it from drywall is close to impossible.... without destroying the drywall... "IF" it's hard enough (really old) - you can sand the sharp tips off enough to make it disappear with a heavy coat of texturing - I've done that with good results in the past... I've also been happy with the results of skim coating over it in some instances.

Try texturing over it first - if it doesn't work - you're down to replacing the drywall - or covering it with 1/4inch drywall...... which is what you're facing now.... Good luck.

Old 04-05-07, 07:23 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
ELBOW GREASE!!!!!!!!!!!!

It can usually be removed by cutting and scraping, sometimes wetting it with paint thinner helps. There WILL be a lot of drywall repairs to make when done! Skim coating and/or texturing should make the repaired wall look new.

If you go this route you may be questioning yourself before you are done as to why you just didn't start from scratch

Old 04-05-07, 07:36 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
No simple solution, but I like removing better than I would rerocking.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: