Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

house built in 59 many layers of wallpaper

Old 04-06-07, 10:31 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I Have 4 bedrroms that have lots of wallpaper layed over and over again many layers. maybe 3-5? then someone painted over them too. The drywall is in decent shape. Also the outlets in therooms are ungrounded and I would liek to fix that. I asked my handyman what to do and he said to just knock out the drywall I needed to to fix my outlets and then he would lay 1/4 inch or 3/8 inch drywall over the old that was in there and then add jam extensions for all the doors to make them look right. itll take 12-13 sheets per room and he wants 175$ /per room labor to lay the sheets and prep them for painting. Is this a good idea, or is there a better plan? What is the going rate to pay someone for drywall work.

Old 04-06-07, 03:43 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Overlaying the walls with new drywall is the easiest way to get clean slick paintable walls. The paper can be stripped but usually that isn't an easy job. After the paper is removed the wall would need to be repaired to get it in paintable shape.

If you do the work yourself, stripping and repairing is the cheapest way to go. If you pay to have it done, it may or may not be cheaper to rehang the drywall.

Prices vary greatly in different locations. The only good way to see if the quoted price is in line is to get a few more estimates.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: