Holes in Dry Wall

Old 04-16-07, 08:05 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Holes in Dry Wall

I had a towel rack hung in my bathroom which has been pulled out of the dry wall and is now laying on my floor.

What is the best proceedur to go with now?

Any wisdom out there?

Old 04-16-07, 08:18 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

How big is the hole??? One way ,cut the hole out square. clean it up like. Now cut a piece of drywall about 4" bigger than the hole On the back side cut the drywall and paper off 2" in all around. this plug like will fit into the hole and you will have like 2" of paper on the front. this you will mud under on the wall. Come back later amd mud it out so you dont see the new patch on the wall. Just one way

Old 04-17-07, 05:12 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
As long as you have a hole there, attach some wood to the studs behind the drywall so you can screw into wood next time and this shouldn't ever happen again.

Old 04-17-07, 05:51 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
To elaborate, slide a piece of wood [longer than the hole] into the hole, hold it tight against the back of the drywall and screw it to the drywall on each end. You can then screw your patch piece to it, tape and finish. When done with the repair you have both drywall and wood to secure the towel rack to.

All this assumes you have a rack that uses screws. If it is a ceramic base rack, you can usually reattach them with grout or durabond without too much trouble.

Old 04-17-07, 10:37 AM
W
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the help.

I have 2 holes in my wall that are not as big as my pinky.
The holes are about one inch apart. 2 screws that pulled thru.

My bathroom is small and I dont' have much for options in hanging a towel rack anywhere else. Would you suggest that I make the hole bigger to get a piece of wood to support the new hanging?

Or since the holes are small, is there an easier way that will hold for a few years?

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-17-07, 10:46 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Might check at the big box store if they have a screw plug that might fit there . Or how about two small toggles that will go behind the drywall and hold the bar

Old 04-17-07, 01:03 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
...... or patch the holes and install the towel rack in another location.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: