Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Drywall patching - covering molly bolt inserts

Drywall patching - covering molly bolt inserts

Old 05-26-07, 08:20 AM
Question Drywall patching - covering molly bolt inserts

Hi -
I've read the posts on patching drywall, but have a different problem - I'm a somewhat experienced DIYer -
The previous owners of our house had shelving above a desk in the bedroom - the kind that you attach the support bars to the wall, and then can insert holders in multiple positions within the bars. I'm prepping the room for repainting, and have the removed the bars.
Here's what I've done so far -
Unscrewed the screws connecting the bars from the wall
Ran a single edge razor next to the bars ( they were painted over with multiple layers of paint)
Removed bars from the walls - here's where my problem starts....
It took some small (2"x3") sections of drywall paper with it - no matter how careful I was. Also, the bars took the paper behind them with them - no way to remove them without that happening...
I also have the molly bolt holders still in the wall - I'm afraid to try to remove them, for I don't want to pull any more drywall paper off - I've hammered them as flush to the wall as I can, but they still are not totally flush with the wall....
Do I just run joint compound over them, or try to remove, and repair where necessary?
I know I will need multiple coats of compound, with sanding in between, to cover the areas where the paper is missing ( after applying kilz to seal)- but what do I do about these blessed molly bolt holders?
No project seems as simple as you think........

Blessings,

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-07, 11:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've never had any problems with knocking them below the drywall surface and then patching over them. This always involves less work than trying to remove them. Maybe you need to hit them just a little bit harder

Old 05-26-07, 02:19 PM
Thanks - I guess I'll just give it the old heave ho.....