Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How to remove and reinstall same piece of knockdown drywall?

06-14-07, 04:55 AM   #1  
How to remove and reinstall same piece of knockdown drywall?

I want to cut out and reinstall some drywall that has double knockdown texture on it. ( I will be installing a pocket door- in a bathroom, cant work from the bathroom side do to the back of the tub being against this common wall). Seemed to make sense to me to do it this way vice trying to DYI knockdown a 4x 7 foot section. This section is the first 10 feet of a 30 foot hallway.

Is this possible?
Any recommendations on doing this?
Any alternate ideas?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

06-14-07, 05:07 AM   #2  
I'm familiar with knock down texture but never heard of double knock down.

While you can remove and sometimes reuse a piece of drywall, when you reinstall you will still need to tape and mud the seams and mud all the nail/screw heads. All of which would need retexturing. It is also likely that this areas has 2 pieces of drywall [hung horizontally] which would further complicate reusing the drywall. I would think it would be simplier to cut out what you need to and replace with new and retexture.

Is there currently a pocket door or are you wanting to install one. If there wasn't a pocket door there to start with you will have studs that will need to be removed [is it a load bearing wall] and possibly elec wires and/or plumbing to be moved.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

06-14-07, 09:54 AM   #3  
Double knockdown is when they do the knockdown texture twice..... I think.
I will be putting in pocket doors.
The concern is paying a professional to do the same texture so it matches. Hard to find someone that will spray such a small area.

Group Moderator

WI

06-14-07, 10:26 AM   #4  
Texture is hard to get right unless you've done it quite a bit. I'd practice on some cardboard or other scrap wood until you get the look you want on your wall.

Search this Thread