HELP! Drywall isn't flush

Old 06-27-07, 09:21 AM
HELP! Drywall isn't flush

I'm a new homeowner and am attempting my first home improvement project. I removed a metal clothing hamper from my bathroom. The metal supporting structure would not budge and that posed a whole other set of problems that I was able to get past. My issue is that the drywall is not flush. Part of it is flush with the wall and the rest is recessed. I really do not want to start over and my only thought was to spackle it to death to make it even. Are there any other suggestions??? Thanks!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-07, 11:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'm having trouble understanding your situation.

How large of a space is this that the drywall is not supported? Can you take pics and post them to a photobucket.com type site and link the pics here?

From the sounds of it, you need to add a brace.

Old 06-27-07, 04:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
As long as the drywall is secured to the wall it is no biggie for it to be recessed a little. Ideally you would have shimmed it out a little but filling it in is no big deal. I prefer to use a setting compound to fill with because it doesn't crack and shrink like regular j/c will when applied heavily but you can use j/c. It may take several coats, just give it plenty of time to dry, don't worry about any cracks in the first coat of mud - they can be filled with the next coat.

Once the repair piece is close to level, tape and finish as you normally would.

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 06-28-07, 06:10 AM
Oh, it's secure! Is there a certain brand of setting compound you'd recommend? I've been using DAP. I didn't realize it wasn't flush until I started throwing the spackle on and then that threw me off even more. Part of it is flush and then I think to make it even might be half and inch...is that okay?

Thanks for the tips!

Old 06-28-07, 08:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If this is the only repair you need to make I wouldn't buy any setting compound [I use durabond] You would be buying way more than you need. Just apply multiple coats of mud [let dry inbetween coats]. Regular joint compound will crack if it is applied too thick but it shouldn't hurt anything.
Be sure to use a wide enough knife to feather it out eliminating any dips. Also a sanding pole [or even sandpaper wrapped around a block of wood] will help you to sand it evenly.